I know it's not Daily...you know it's not Daily...let's just say it's a catchy title and leave it at that eh?

June 17, 2004

Let's have some film chat today shall we? Jolly Good. You see I love films...no, not enough vehemence, i'll try again...I LOVE films :)...I think it may be down to the way I watch films in that I, unlike *so* many people it would seem, don't just sit idly staring at a screen letting a film wash over me...no...I prefer to think about what's going on a bit more, get involved with the film, try and put myself in the situation the characters are facing and try and empathise with them...all of which means that, when I watch films, I get completely and utterly wrapped up in whatever tale it may be for the duration of the movie which, for me, is kind of the whole point. It also means that the kind of films I tend to prefer are of the complex variety :) after all just how involved can you get in a brainless action movie? Not much really, I mean for the most part there's not a great deal of depth beyond blowing stuff up...and how can you get into pondering symbolisms, meanings and intonations of a scene in a film where there aren't any? You clearly can't...which means that even though there are some very well made action movies (which, don't get me wrong, I *do* enjoy) I tend to just watch them in the same way as everyone else...passively.

So where am I going here? Well since we've established that I prefer considered, thoughtful movies to the efforts of the more "explosive" ilk we now move onto a conversation i've had with friends recently...what do you classify as a Cinema film?...meaning what would you consider to be a film you *have* to see at the Cinema because the overall effect will be so much more and what films can you just happily wait until they come out to buy and watch at home? Now the general consensus amongst friends seems to be that action films are Cinema films and thoughtful ones are home films...I disagree...I would *much* rather go and enjoy something like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (which is what actually sparked this whole discussion in the first place! I've still not seen it :( suppose i'll just have to go and see it on my own if I want to enjoy it properly...*sigh*) on the big screen than something like The Day After Tomorrow (and I don't care HOW many people say it's ok...the director behind it is responsible for some of the most insultingly awful films ever made and i'm just not that forgiving ;))...but I seem to be in a minority unfortunately, so does anyone else agree? or am I just odd :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home