So why do I hate those little flags so much then?...simple...they exemplify something I absolutely despise, something that this country seems to have an abundant supply of, something that is an endless cause of hatred, resentment, upset and injury...no not football (although it's a close second), i'm actually talking about patriotism.
Now don't get me wrong, i've got nothing against a little national pride...I love this country and I love being British...but there's a difference between pride and patriotism...you see if your proud of your country (like I am) then you can happily see all it's positive aspects but remain able to see the negative side too, this normally means that you can accept things like differing points of view, be open to intelligent comments from other people and, whilst not being happy about it, you can restrain yourself from flying into an uncontrollable rage if your side loses at football (just for the sake of argument that one ;))...patriotism works differently though, people are blinded to any faults at all, see any differing viewpoint as some kind of attack (ie. the ferocious anti-european opinions many people seem to have) and instantly go on the offensive, blocking out all reason, sense and intelligence and steadfastly refusing to accept anything that's different...now personally I view things like closed mindedness, pointless opposition to change and generally violent behaviour as negative and damaging traits...but blind patriotism seems to be encouraged!...why?...sure it's a noble idea, but that's the problem, it's like religion (which is the main reason for most of the suffering and pain humanity has endured throughout history! religion preaches forgiveness, tolerance and peace...yet the truly religious use it as an excuse to go to war...rrrriiight)...both very noble ideals in their purest form...but as soon as people get involved these noble causes aren't treated positively, they're just used as an excuse for crushing anyone that doesn't agree with you!
Back to the flags though :) the other thing these flagy embody to me is the image that the rest of the world seems to have of this country...of a beer-swilling, rioting, narrow minded, idiot...they typify the whole cheap vulgarity of that whole side of British "culture" (yes i'm being sarcastic there)...perhaps that's why I hate them so much, hatred of misplaced patriotism aside, is it just because they're so aesthetically insulting...hhhmmmmmm...quite possibly...*especially* if the chav in question has seen fit to festoon his car with not 1, not 2, but 4 sets of flags!...*shudder*












0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home