I know it's not Daily...you know it's not Daily...let's just say it's a catchy title and leave it at that eh?

September 10, 2004

2 - Conclusions on Spaniards

Or should I say 'snap judgements on an entire culture based on one or two occurences' :) I know i'm generalising here and I know i'm being unfair but hey, life's unfair and as I said to someone in the Airport "i'm in a broad generalisation kinda mood"...so there...anyway, within a few hours of landing in Spain me and another guy had drawn the following conclusion based on our exhaustive research:

1 - The Spanish all seem to be...um...kind of squashed! You know those 'super-deformed' anime characters that the Japanese do? Well kinda like that...just in real life

2 - None of them seem to work...or do much...aside from sit about in pubs drinking all day and playing dominoes.

3 - I suppose this could be down to their apathetic/lethargic tendencies but they didn't seem all too bright either...simple concepts seemed to escape them utterly...examples? Well take my experiences around vending machines for instance...I go to vending machine to get a drink, there's a native in front of me, I wait...I continue waiting...wait longer...and wait some more...I now begin to wonder whether said native has fallen asleep or perhaps just died in a vertical position in front of the vending machine by chance, I peer around to see a look of confusion and concentration etched onto his face...I continue waiting...and continue...after what seems like an ice age of waiting he makes his selection and then, instead of doing what any normal cognizant human would (ie. get the fuck out of my way!) he stands there blocking the front of the machine so that I *still* can't get to it...realisation eventually seems to filter through and he moves, albeit slowly, and lets me get to the fucking thing...now since I can't read any of the language or anything I don't know what to expect here and am thinking i'll be similarly stuck before I can get what I want...but no, Spain does not have any fiendishly complicated vending machines...they're the same as everywhere else...money goes in...drink comes out...you walk away, simple non? And this wasn't an isolated incident either...it happened *every* time I went to one of the sodding things!

So there you go...sweeping generalisations a-go-go ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home