I know it's not Daily...you know it's not Daily...let's just say it's a catchy title and leave it at that eh?

July 02, 2004

I've been stood in a queue (remember how we love those?) in Waitrose...patiently waiting to give people my money for what they, in what I can only presume to be some attempt at cruel wit, charitably term 'a sandwich'...and what should I notice? the queue I was in had a sign above it that read 'Baskets Only'...which, initially, struck me as peculiar, after all Waitrose is a chain supermarket not a wicker weavers so you'd have to surmise that their trade in Baskets was relatively sparse...yet there it was in front of me...4 tills set aside specifically for 'Baskets Only'...I was about to leave the queue and join another as my 'sandwiches' and bag of crisps could, by no stretch of the imagination, be confused as Baskets, I looked around to see if I could find the '6 items or fewer' queue (and yes I know that's a Mil Millington comment...i'm merely agreeing with him not plaguerizing...ok?) but there was nothing...there's the normal tills with their quota of frenzied housewives buying enough ready-made food to sink the proverbial battleship and there's our special tills for Basket emergencies...I glance down the queue and see that...*shock*...no-one else has baskets either! they're all carrying food, milk, drink, papers, magazines...anything *but* wicker weave products! Well needless to say if they're all getting away with it I wasn't going to queue elsewhere...so I stayed in the queue and bought my lunch at the 'Basket' till...bloody Waitrose, perhaps they've spotted a niche that no-one else has yet eh?

That small slice of complete and utter nonsense should illustrate, far more than any explanations I could furnish you with, just *how* bereft of ideas I was today :) I shall try and do something interesting this weekend so i've got something to comment on! Just as an aside...i've started reading the original version of 'Monkey'...remember that? insane 70's comedy/fighty programme...well did anyone else know that the original stories were written in the 16th century?...you can tell it was written that long ago of course, it's tone certainly isn't modern! but it's funny to read it and see how much is the same as the TV show! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home