I know it's not Daily...you know it's not Daily...let's just say it's a catchy title and leave it at that eh?

October 15, 2004

Another one of the little things that amuses me every time I hear it is the phrase "the fairer sex" when referring to women...now the definition of 'fair' in question here is, of course, this one; "Fair - Of pleasing appearance, especially because of a pure or fresh quality", which is quite right...women *are* very very attractive, well, most of them are anyway :P But whenever I hear this I can never help thinking of this definition instead; "Fair - Consistent with rules, logic, or ethics", which is, obviously, an amusing trait to apply to women...fairness in this sense is not something normally associated with "the fairer sex"...no...calculating...yes, cruel...yes, merciless...yes, manipulative...yes, vindictive...yes, fair...well, no...fair in that sense is something more typically associated with men ;) and as for applying either 'consistency' or 'logic' to women (hehehehe), well I think the very idea of that is *far* funnier than anything I can write so I shall leave that loaded comment as is and let you all chuckle to yourselves.

Of course I am generalising *hugely* here and, as we've previously established, there are exceptions to every rule...but generally I think it's 'fair' to think of women as the fairer sex and men as the fairer sex...make of that confusing little comment whatever you wish ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home