I know it's not Daily...you know it's not Daily...let's just say it's a catchy title and leave it at that eh?

September 21, 2004

8 - Cultural differences

We've already touched upon one or two cultural differences in the previous 7 instalments of holiday nonsense but there's one in particular that I though deserved special mention as it is *such* a big difference...and it doesn't seem to be merely with the Spanish...no...it seems to be between the British and *everyone* else! What am I talking about? Simple...drinking! :)

You see the Spanish approach to drinking seems to be 'a bit at a time'...the pubs are open all day, no-one seems to do any work (as we've already established ;)) and they just seem to happily meander from pub to pub eating their naff finger food and drinking...any number of times I saw people come to a bar, sit down, order a glass of lager, an irish coffee and an extra shot of whiskey...they'd polish the lot off and then happily stumble around for a while before settling at another bar...now the clever part of this approach seems to be that it gives them a short while to sober up again so that they can continue this process indefinitely, never getting *too* pissed. Now let's take into consideration the British approach shall we? I'll illustrate my point by walking us all through a little pretend scenario shall I? A gaggle of Brit holidaymakers wander into a Spanish bar at random, "let's have a drink" suggests one of their number, "good idea" they say...drinks are ordered, they pay, then look with an air of confusion at the amount of change they get back...realisation sets in...one of the group chips in with an erudite "fuck me! everything costs 10p!"...the gaggle of Brits then descend on said bar like frenzied harpies...drinking doesn't stop until they are physically incapable of drinking any more, normally due to complete loss of motor functions, unconsciousness or perhaps temporary blindness...Brits will then stage an impromptu floor show for the entertainment of the locals where they stagger about uncontrollably and either try to talk to or have fights with inanimate objects like hatstands, chairs, the wall or their reflection.

Spot the difference? ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home